The Grammy Awards hand out trophies in more than 80 categories, honoring artists across all genres. But the four biggest categories — Album of the Year, Song of the Year, Record of the Year, and Best New Artist — tend to skew toward the poppier side of the musical spectrum.
That’s not an indictment, especially because there was a particularly strong set of pop star nominees for the 2020 awards. Lizzo, Billie Eilish, Lil Nas X, and Ariana Grande dominated both the overall nominations slate and the four top categories — fitting considering how they ruled the Billboard charts throughout 2019. Other notable nominees in the four top categories included Lana Del Rey and Vampire Weekend, acts from the indie scene whose 2019 albums garnered wide critical acclaim.
The nominees for Album of the Year, Song of the Year, Record of the Year, and Best New Artist are listed below, with the winners in bold.
Visit the Grammys’ website for the full list of 2020 Grammys winners.
Song of the Year
(This award goes to the songwriters of a song.)
- “Always Remember Us This Way” — Natalie Hemby, Lady Gaga, Hillary Lindsey, and Lori McKenna, songwriters (Lady Gaga)
- “Bad Guy” — Billie Eilish O’Connell and Finneas O’Connell, songwriters (Billie Eilish)
- “Bring My Flowers Now” — Brandi Carlile, Phil Hanseroth, Tim Hanseroth, and Tanya Tucker, songwriters (Tanya Tucker)
- “Hard Place” — Ruby Amanfu, Sam Ashworth, D. Arcelious Harris. H.E.R., and Rodney Jerkins, songwriters (H.E.R.)
- “Lover” — Taylor Swift, songwriter (Taylor Swift)
- “Norman Fucking Rockwell” — Jack Antonoff and Lana Del Rey, songwriters (Lana Del Rey)
- “Someone You Loved” — Tom Barnes, Lewis Capaldi, Pere Kelleher, Benjamin Kohn, and Sam Roman, songwriters (Lewis Capaldi)
- “Truth Hurts” — Steven Cheung, Eric Frederic, Melissa Jefferson, and Jesse Saint John, songwriters (Lizzo)
Best New Artist
(This award is given to artists who have released their breakthrough recording during the Grammy eligibility period — October 1, 2018, to August 31, 2019, in the case of the 2020 awards — not to artists who made their first recording during that time.)
Record of the Year
(This award goes to the overall production of a single song and is awarded to the artist who records it.)
Album of the Year
(This award is given to an entire album and all of its songs.)
Posts from the same category:
- None Found