AMMAN, Jordan — A fragile cease-fire remains intact, but the work to rebuild after the short but deadly war between Israel and Hamas has just begun, the top American diplomat said Wednesday at the close of a Middle East trip intended to keep simmering tensions from erupting anew.
Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken said he was returning to Washington from the brief but urgent visit with new promises to help fund a massive humanitarian and reconstruction effort in the Gaza Strip, pockets of which were decimated during 11 days of hostilities between Hamas, the militant group that controls the area, and Israel.
Following meetings with the leaders of Egypt and Jordan — two Arab neighbors of Israel that have influence with Palestinians in Israel and in the occupied West Bank — Mr. Blinken said he would reach out to other nations in the region “to ensure we all contribute to recovery, stability, and the reduction of tensions.”
have failed. Although the United States is shepherding the latest donor drive, and has so far contributed $360 million in
Posts from the same category:
- None Found